The Golden Healer's Fantasy Emporium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kent Hovind and Creationism

2 posters

Go down

Kent Hovind and Creationism Empty Kent Hovind and Creationism

Post  Chasmira1060 Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:51 pm

Kent Hovind presents some intriguing and convincing arguments on the subject of Creationism. Feel free to discuss here. Very Happy
Kent Hovind's site:
http://www.drdino.com/
Chasmira1060
Chasmira1060
Golden Healer

https://goldenhealerfantasy.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Kent Hovind and Creationism Empty Re: Kent Hovind and Creationism

Post  Sweedle P. Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:59 am

Wow, Kent Hovind? That man is nothing but a prime example of what happens when one's entire professional life is wrapped up in denying reality.

Case in point: Hovind is currently serving a ten-year federal prison sentence after being convicted of 58 felonies, including twelve tax offenses, one count of obstructing federal agents, and forty-five counts of structuring cash transactions. Why? Because he believed that he was not required to file a Federal Income Tax Return. "Some will say the Bible teaches us to obey the authority over us. I agree and I do. The IRS is not the authority over me any more than the government of Japan is," he said in an article on DrDino.com [now archived] explaining why he thought tax evasion was his God given liberty. (Way to trust your Bible, Dr. D!)

But that's not all. The same man who is famous for conducting seminars that aim to convince listeners to reject modern theories of evolution, geophysics, and cosmology in favor of the Genesis creation myth also believes that the United States government is conspiring to suppress a cure for cancer, was behind both 9/11 and the Oklahoma City bombing, that the 1993 World Trade Center attack was staged by the US Government in order to pass "anti-terrorism" legislation that restricts civil liberties, and that the Federal Reserve, the Council on Foreign Relations, the United Nations and various other groups are actively planning to create a one world government as prophesied in the Bible. His presentations have asserted that the reason creationism is not taught in public schools is tied to "an international conspiracy" of "'The New World Order' (NWO) consisting of Ted Turner (and his wife, Jane Fonda), the British Royal Family, the State of Israel, the ACLU, and a smattering of former and present US government officials, business leaders, and social activists (particularly those advocating population control) — shades of the Trilateral Commission," according to the article Dr Dino Does 'Delphia on the National Center for Science Education website. In May 1999, he claimed "the implementation of the NWO's world-domination plan was May 5, 2000." By this date, Hovind believed, the NWO wished to reduce the entire world's population to no more than 500 million people, or less than 10% of the current population. (I think we all would agree that was a good call on his part.)

However, the man known as "Dr. Dino" is hardly alone: Many of his more bizarre ideas are shared by fundamentalist Christians across America. For example, 'Dr.' Hovind maintains that biology textbooks are lying and considers the scientific theory of evolution to be a religion. Specifically, he claims that "all" evidence "used to support the evolution theory is [sic] errors." He disregards all fossil evidence, saying that "no fossils can count as evidence for evolution," because "all we know about that animal is that it died," and we do not know that it "had any kids, much less different kids." As explanation for different races and languages, Hovind believes "all families, countries, nations, and tongues were created or developed from" the Tower of Babel (Genesis 10:20).

The fact remains that however deluded Dr. Dino's view of the world may be, he knew what he was doing when he tried to avoid paying taxes. Hovind's ministry's organizational structure was described by the United States Tax Court as appearing to be "based on various questionable trust documents purchased from Glen Stoll, a known promoter of tax avoidance schemes." Although he tried to claim that as a minister of God everything he owned belonged to God and, therefore, he was not subject to paying taxes to the United States on the money he received for doing God's work, he also purposefully offered information and resources for people to avoid paying taxes through such dishonest schemes as by claiming to not be residents of the United States. During his trial, many who knew and worked for Hovind testified he claimed he had "beat" the tax system. (In true conservative style, more than a half-dozen guns were seized during the raid on his home, including an SKS semiautomatic rifle.)

All this may seem to beg the question, is Kent Hovind simply a misguided man of faith, or a knowing tax cheat and a con artist? Does it really matter? Do you really want to accept this man's or his ministry's arguments against our firmly established understanding of biology and the key unifying theory of many branches of science because it sits closer to what you want to be true? Do you think that he knows better than the 99.85% of America's earth and life scientists who believe and consistently rely upon the fact that the theory of evolution is valid?

I am sure Kent Hovind and his ministry truly believe that his conviction was due to his ministry's success and his exercising his constitutional God given rights. I can almost hear the echo of a sermon preached back when an attorney from a law firm specifically established to defend Christian ministries was visiting our church. The recurring theme on that day was the persecution mantra, "sued for the faith." To those who would argue that Kent Hovind was 'imprisoned' for the faith, I would offer up the words of Dr. Hovind himself, written in an article justifying his tax evasion only six years prior to his conviction: "Daniel continued to pray knowing what the results might be (Daniel 6:10). Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego refused to bow to the idol knowing it could mean their death (Daniel 3:17). They did not know they would not be burned. A Christian's job is to do right. The results are up to God."

Hmm. Indeed.

PS. If you believe this post to be an ad hominem argument, then I encourage you to pick any assertion from the "Hovind Theory" and I will answer it as best I can. Still, you should always consider your source when studying any academic field and so I believe the arguments above to be completely valid.
Sweedle P.
Sweedle P.
Cheeb

http://www.webook.com/member/SweedleP

Back to top Go down

Post  Chasmira1060 Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:17 am

[quote="Sweedle P."]
Case in point: Hovind is currently serving a ten-year federal prison sentence after being convicted of 58 felonies, including twelve tax offenses, one count of obstructing federal agents, and forty-five counts of structuring cash transactions. Why? Because he believed that he was not required to file a Federal Income Tax Return. "Some will say the Bible teaches us to obey the authority over us. I agree and I do. The IRS is not the authority over me any more than the government of Japan is," he said in an article on DrDino.com [now archived] explaining why he thought tax evasion was his God given liberty. (Way to trust your Bible, Dr. D!)

Well, that IS quite wrong of him, thanks for sharing, because Jesus Himself instructs us to obey authority and pay our taxes:

Matthew 22: 17--21

17Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?

18But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites?

19Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny.

20And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription?

21They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

So, I do not agree at all with his actions. But, even knowing this, doesn't stop me from believing from the Flood, Tower of Babel, and everything else in the Bible. I will find some sound proof for you, if it's the last thing I do.alien

Oh, and one other thing:

Christians CAN known 99.85% of America's earth and life scientists. Like I've said before, it's not like I don't believe anything in science. I really like science. But sometimes science actually points to God's existence instead of discrediting it; people just don't wanna see it.
Chasmira1060
Chasmira1060
Golden Healer

https://goldenhealerfantasy.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum